Where is the cash? Hurricane Matthew victims still waiting for relief

WAYNE COUNTY, NC (WTVD)--

Hundreds of millions of dollars in federal relief promised to those impacted by Hurricane Matthew, and almost 2 years later, many of those property owners are still waiting.Of the approximated $350 million readily available to North Carolina, about $10.5 million has been spent.Leamon Capps helped develop his family house in Goldsboro 41 years ago.More than a year after flooding forced his family

from that home, he's wondering when help is coming."All we can do is wait now, "Capps said.In October 2016, more than 3 feet of water rushed inside, leaving the Capps family with only sufficient time to get exactly what they might bring and leave.When the water declined, the household submitted insurance coverage claims and registered with FEMA in hopes of getting the cash had to make repairs."We removed whatever out then I had it dried out and dealt with, I invested$ 6500 cause I thought I was gon na reconstruct, so that was loan discarded,"stated Capps.Wayne County and federal officials informed Capps if he wished to repair his house he would need to raise the whole structure a minimum of two feet above the flood line.A task Capps stated would cost hundreds of countless dollars." We didn't wish to provide it up, be we have to push it down cause I can't repair it."Demolishing the home will also be pricey; Capps estimates about$ 25,000. A letter dated August 4, 2017,

reveals he was authorized to get federal funds to pay for the demolition.So far, he hasn't received any

of that money and till your house is torn down he is required to continue to spend for homeowner's insurance, flood insurance coverage and county taxes on a vacant home."If they got the cash, why not send it to us

?" North Carolina's Emergency Management Division director stated the response to that question is not that basic."We understand the good folks in Wayne County are waiting." Mike Sprayberry stated there had to do with 3,000 applications for the Risk Mitigation Grant Program

after Hurricane Matthew.The state approved approximately 800 of them, and 84 of those jobs remain in Wayne County.Sprayberry said that will indicate nearly$9 million distributed to house owners there."

You can never ever get relief to a catastrophe survivor fast enough, we understand that,"said Sprayberry."I would simply inform them just to stay client simply a little while longer."When asked why getting the cash to some homeowners is taking so long, Sprayberry said dealing with various levels of federal government to get funding through different programs can be a complicated process.A procedure that begins with specific counties sending letters of interest to the state.State officials then deal with those counties

to create a grant application that is submitted to FEMA. Once accepted by FEMA, the application goes through a programmatic evaluation, a technical review, an ecological evaluation, a historical evaluation, and lastly, a tribal evaluation prior to any funds are dispersed.Not every North Carolina homeowner who was authorized for disaster relief funding is still waiting. Emergency Management says they have actually currently rolled out more than$630 Million in a variety of programs including public help, specific assistance, little business administration loans, the nationwide flood insurance coverage program, and the disaster rental help program.One catastrophe relief program that has

been under analysis is the Community Advancement Block Grant for Disaster Relief or CDBG-DR program.Reports from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)show North Carolina received$ 236,529,000 in grant loan following Typhoon Matthew.As of May 1, 2018, the state had only invested$24,000 of that cash."There were a great deal of individuals held up since of lack of paperwork, "Sprayberry said."And so we're basically taking an appearance at the entire program from leading to bottom. We have actually already touched with FEMA to say. 'Hey, once it makes it through the evaluations, let's have actually the skids greased so we can get those granted as rapidly as possible.'" Another program, the Danger Mitigation Grant Program, has actually paid out about $10.4 million of the estimated$114 million that will be authorized for citizens in North Carolina.The Department of Emergency Management said it is still taking applications for typhoon relief.Application details can be discovered on their site.(Copyright © 2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Source

http://abc11.com/finance/where-is-the-money-hurricane-matthew-victims-still-waiting-for-relief/3544128/